1. Hi Leah! Please introduce yourself to those who might not know you.
Hi! My name is Leah Martin-Brown and I am an Australian Songwriter, Vocalist and Guitarist based in Los Angeles, CA!
2. How did you get involved with Shira and Gritty In Pink? What does it feel like being part of building a community for women in music?
I had always seen Shira and ShiraGirl out and about doing awesome things for Women in the Warped Tour Scene. When she first launched the Gritty in Pink Jam at the Satellite in 2020, I was honored to be asked to perform. After being part of that event and seeing what was created I just knew I wanted to be part of this Community. During the pandemic, Shira kept pushing the boundaries of what was expected- creating an Online Festival and going on “tour”. Just incredible! It is so special to be part of the Gritty Fam. So many incredibly badass, Artistic women to connect and create with!
3. What moment in your life made you realize you wanted to pursue music?
I don’t think there was any one moment. I just knew it was something I had to do with every fiber of my being. There was nothing else for me.
4. What was it like moving from Australia to the States to start your career? Did you experience a culture shock, especially coming to a city like LA?
Moving from Aus to the US was definitely an experience. What I had been doing in Australia was small-time compared to what I found in Los Angeles. The amount of work that I had to put into upskill was insane! And little things, like language and cultural references took years to understand- even if it seems like we’re similar Countries.
5. What’s your favorite part of the music making process?
I love the recording and performing parts of the process. Being able to lay down my emotions has always been at the core of songwriting for me so this was very special!
6. We noticed you’re doing a 90 day life challenge on your Instagram. What motivated you to embark on it?
I had been in Australia over the Christmas Holidays with my family. I am someone who always feels the need to keep ticking boxes, moving forward etc and I just felt very stagnant. I wanted to create some movement whilst also holding myself accountable “no days off” so I came up with the idea of 90 Days to Change My Life. So far, I have made some huge changes and I am hoping that I can share more soon!
7. Where did the name for your band “Evol Walks" come from?
I am a massive AC/DC fan and they have a song called ‘Evil Walks’. I wanted to make it a little more “me” so decided to change the spelling to make it “love” backwards OR short for evolution.
8. How would you describe your sound to a first-time listener?
Heavy rock and roll with some 90’s inspired riffs. Definitely some AC/DC and Sabbath in there!
9. What has been the proudest moment in your career so far?
There are so many incredible moments for me. I think my proudest moment was playing onstage in front of 250,000 people in Poland at Poland Rock.
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Touring the world, playing music, always creating. Maybe owning a bookstore that also has a live music venue and coffee shop for downtime… I just always want to be creating something with cool people.
11. What’s one thing you want people to remember you for?
I would love people to remember me for the way I made them feel. That I could make a positive impact on them as individuals.
12. If you weren’t in your current profession, what would you be doing?
I don’t know to be honest… I always wanted to be a Criminal Psychologist. But I don’t really see myself doing anything else.
13. For a while, you’ve teased some super secret upcoming projects people should be on the lookout for… anything you can share here with the Gritty fam?
I have been working on an album with Mutt Lange since 2021. It is ready to go and we are just trying to find a home for it! So if any labels are reading this and want to chat… let me know ;) *laughs but really…
14. Any shows coming up you’re excited about?
So excited to be playing an acoustic set at Gritty in Pink’s May 11th Event at The Echo! That is going to be incredible. It will be the biggest acoustic stage I’ve been on for quite some time!
15. Final thoughts?
Drink coffee, play music and cuddle your friends!