1.Hi Marieme! Please introduce yourself to those who might not know you.
Hi I’m Marieme, I’m from Senegal and am a goddess of love in all its forms and want to extend that to all humans through my music.
2. When did you start your music journey? What was the moment for you, that you knew this is what you wanted to do as a career?
I’ve always loved music but grew up in a religious household where it was not encouraged. So I’ve had many moments of desiring the life I live now but resolving to it never happening. But I guess when I moved out to LA and decided to never look back is when the final moment of desire manifested itself to reality.
3.How did you get involved with Gritty In Pink? What does it feel like being part of building a community for women in music?
I got involved with gritty because I met Shira and became friends with her. I love that there’s a community uplifting women and giving the opportunities that we deserve to showcase our many talents.
4. You’ll be performing at our upcoming ALL GRL Jam for Women’s Month, any surprises we can expect?
I’m excited for the show and you’ll have to come to see what goes down 💙
5. Your Senegalese roots are always incorporated into your look and sound. How do you, as an artist, make sure to maintain authenticity when creating?
For me, authenticity is the most important part of my journey. What I know to be sure in life is that our differences and uniqueness are what make us great. So for me being authentic is just following your instincts because no one’s life and mind works like yours and that’s what I lean into. I trust in my checkpoints I’ve subconsciously setup throughout my life for my taste and so I just learn to trust myself more:
6. What’s the meaning behind “Consciousness is the new Rock N Roll”- can you elaborate?
I went to this talk this one day in NYC and one of the speakers said that to the crowd and I’ve taken it on as my moniker because I want to embrace the idea that healing from trauma is cool, being authentic is cool, learning to love yourself and others is cool and living a more intentional life is cool. A lot of people are suffering cause we’re not aligned and we can be aligned through conscious living.
7. As a songwriter, what’s one important lesson you’ve learned being in the industry? How do you make sure you receive the proper credit for your work when you write for others?
I usually just write for myself but when I do write for someone else I just make sure we take care of all credits and splits before hand, that way it’s never an issue. Always get what you deserve and be fair.
8. You have an amazing fashion sense, and you create your own clothing. Who or what do you pull inspiration from when it comes to fashion?
Grace Jones, Bowie, my mom she’s always very stylish. I just love looking how I feel, so if you think my fashion sense is great, I feel even better on the inside lol
9.Your music is so uplifting and powerful, what/who are your biggest influences when writing?
love Nina Simone’s and Lauryn Hills songwriting the most. I love listening to their phrasing and so many things about how they choose to present words.
10. We saw a post you made on Instagram about going to pilot school, how’s it going? Have you always been interested in learning how to fly?
Yes wanting to learn how to fly is what prompted me to get those much needed contacts I’ve been putting off. So I’m going to learn and also learning to get my drivers license. I’m trying to live a bond life!
11. Biggest advice for young women entering the music industry?
Trust yourself and always be true to yourself. What you have to offer is unique and always try and manifest the things you want, don’t wait for things to happen to you, make it happen. You are the CEO.
12. If you could pick one album to be the soundtrack of your life, what would it be and why?
Enya Dark sky island
13. What’s one thing you want people to remember you for?
The love I gave!
14.Any final thoughts? Upcoming projects?
I’m working on my first album and I’m very excited for that. I’m also releasing a single in early March called built for greatness as a reminder of who we are and how powerful we are. Also to any readers, remember self love is where it starts, that’s where change for the world starts. So love yourself!